Cottages to rent for self-catering breaks in Coggeshall, Essex, England
Book a cottage in historic Coggeshall and you’ll be staying in one of Essex’s prettiest towns. With plenty of character houses and historic timber-clad buildings, Coggeshall offers ample ‘olde worlde’ charm and is a lovely place to stay.
About Cottage Breaks in Coggeshall
Although quite a small town, there are almost 200 listed buildings in Coggeshall, including historic buildings that date back to medieval times. Coggeshall’s wealth of beautiful buildings is by virtue of the wealth generated in the town during the times of the medieval wool trade where rich merchants built fine dwellings and impressive churches.
Places of Interest to Visit in Coggeshall include:
- The Church of St Peter Ad Vincula dates back to the 14th century.
- Timber clad Paycockes House, is an impressive National Trust country house built by a wealthy wool merchant in the early 1500s.
- Also in Coggeshall is Grange Barn, another National Trust property and one of the oldest timber-framed buildings in Europe.
- The town is well served by country inns, tea shops and cafes where you can soak up the magnificent historic atmosphere and enjoy the town at a relaxed pace.
Best Places to Visit on a Cottage Holiday in Coggeshall
- Coggeshall itself offers plenty for visitors but there are also some fantastic places to discover within an hour’s drive of this lovely town.
- The historical town of Colchester with its impressive gardens, zoo, shops, cafes, restaurants and historic charm is just 10 miles from Coggeshall.
- Coggeshall is also a great base for discovering scenic Constable Country. The Dedham Vale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is only around 25 minutes’ drive from Coggeshall. Visit delightful places like the town of Dedham with its cafes and quaint historic charm, as well as Flatford Mill to see first-hand the countryside that so inspired John Constable.
- For tranquil countryside walks, lunch out at a country inn and a picture-perfect village feel, head to the delightful village of Finchingfield (one of Essex’s prettiest villages), which is just 15 miles from Coggeshall.
- For more history, visit Hedingham Castle and Gardens just 12 miles from Coggeshall. This fascinating castle dates back to Norman times and is set in beautiful grounds and woodlands.
Book a Coggeshall cottage and look forward to discovering some of the best of Essex on holiday.