Guide to Cottage Holidays in the UKís Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty
Searching for ideas for a cottage holiday in one of Britain’s Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB)? Britain’s AONBs with their big open green spaces are indeed wonderful places to holiday.
Whether you enjoy walking, cycling, wildlife watching or other outdoor activities, the UK’s AONBs are special protected places and are amongst the best places in the country to enjoy the great outdoors.
A holiday in a cottage or pine lodge in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty promises good views from your holiday accommodation and when out and about.
If you’re in need of some ideas and inspirations on Britain’s AONBs and what they have to offer, let us help inspire you on what they have to offer. You may also be interested in reading our guide to self-catering holidays in Britain’s National Parks.
There are an impressive 33 areas of outstanding natural beauty in England and 4 in Wales. The Wye Valley is another AONB that is partly found in England and partly in Wales.
Some of the best known AONBs in England include:
In England's West Country:
- The Blackdown Hills,
- Mendip Hills AONB
- Quantock Hills
- Tamar Valley AONB
- Cranborne Chase AONB, North Devon and South Devon in the South West,
- the Cotswold Hills AONB in Oxfordshire, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.
In the North of England:
- AONBs to discover in the North of England include Arnside and Silverdale,
- the North Pennines, the Forest of Bowland,
- the Howardian Hills AONB, and,
- the Northumberland Coast AONB.
In the South East of England:
- The Chiltern Hills AONB stretch out across parts of Bedfordshire, Bucks, Herts and Oxfordshire.
- Also in the South East of England is the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty,
- Kent Downs and the
- Surrey Hills AONB.
In East Anglia:
East Anglian areas renowned for their beauty include the:
In the Midlands
- The Lincolnshire Wolds are probably the best known Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in the Midlands.
In the Heart of England
- Within the Heart of England beautiful places of outstanding natural beauty include:
- the Malvern Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty,
- the Shropshire Hills AONB and the
- Wye Valley.