Forest of Bowland Holidays
Thinking of holidaying in the Forest of Bowland? Find out what this stunning Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty has to offer for holidays with Country Cottages Online’s guide.
Searching for a Cottage in the Forest of Bowland?
Find Holiday lets in the Forest Bowland and nearby
Why Choose the Forest of Bowland AONB for a Cottage Break
Set in northern Lancashire, just south of the Lake District National Park and south west of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, the lush and green Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty is edged by Morecambe on the west and Settle on the east.
The lush landscape of the Forest of Bowland covers lowlands with a patchwork of fields, meadows and farmlands dotted with pretty villages and farms, as well as dramatic fells, forests and valleys. This area of outstanding natural beauty covers more that 300 square miles of beautiful landscape.
Dubbed by some as the green heart of England, the Forest of Bowland is a lovely area to enjoy spending quality time exploring the great outdoors. Whether you enjoy walking, hiking, wildlife watching or horse riding, this is a stunning area for a cottage break.
Top Places to Visit on a Holiday in the Forest of Bowland
- Beacon Fell Country Park – home to a woodland trail, a sculpture trail and Beacon Fell.
- Lancaster Canal – picturesque canal with towpath walks.
- Pendle Hill from which you can enjoy stunning views over the Ribble Valley.
Pretty Villages and Towns to Visit in the Forest of Bowland
- Bolton by Bowland – picturesque village which is home to two village greens (on one green you can see the old village stocks) and a historic church.
- Calder Vale – pretty village at the foot of a valley, home to a historic working mill.
- Clitheroe – this bustling market town with its impressive historic castle towering about the town, elegant historical buildings and proximity to dramatic fells, is an appealing place to visit or stay in.
- Downham – small pretty village with a brook flowing through, close to Pendle Hill in the Ribble Valley.
- Garstang – Set by the River Wyre, Garstang is a pretty historic market town with a choice of shops and eateries.
- Grindleton – very pretty little village in the Ribble Valley.
- Roughlee – a pretty village with some interesting historical links to the Pendle Witches and previous winner of the Best Kept Small Village award.
- Settle – this small town is made up of stone-built houses and is home to a few shops, a couple of cafes and a few pubs and is set next to the stunning scenery of the Yorkshire Dales National Park.
- Slaidburn – small very pretty idyllic village by the Bowland fells.
- Waddington – small pretty village, set in the heart of the Ribble Valley, a mere 2 miles from Clitheroe.
Wherever you opt to discover in the Forest of Bowland, we hope that you’ve found our hints and tips on some of the best places to visit in this area of outstanding natural beauty helpful. We hope you have a wonderful time holidaying in the Forest of Bowland and that you find your dream holiday rental on Country Cottages Online.