Cottages to rent for self-catering breaks in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England
Ashbourne is a Derbyshire market town, just outside of the Peak District National Park boundary, known for its Georgian buildings, cobbled market place and independent shopping.
Information on Cottage Holidays in Ashbourne
A self-catering break in Ashbourne will appeal to those who want to stay in a town which offers ample facilities yet is conveniently positioned for discovering some of the best of the Peak District National Park nearby.
Ashbourne Keeps Its Traditions Alive
With attractive cobbled streets, art galleries and boutique shops, Ashbourne has plenty to recommend it for cottage holidays. The town’s church, St. Oswald’s Parish Church is worth a visit and has been described as more akin to a cathedral, rather than a parish church. Built about 1340, its single spire has been much admired. An old tradition for a local gingerbread recipe is carried on today, at the town’s gingerbread shop.
Things to See and Do on a Cottage Holiday in Ashbourne
- Ashbourne is also located close to Carsington Water, a popular Derbyshire visitor attraction and nature reserve.
- Ashbourne is also well known for a rather unusual sporting event that takes place every year. The Shrovetide Football Match harks back to how communities used to play football. Over two days, the town is essentially the pitch and one side of the town plays the other side. With the goals being three miles from each other and hundreds of people playing, a lot can happen and it gets quite boisterous!
- The annual Ashbourne Agricultural Show is another highlight on the events calendar that you may be lucky enough to catch whilst enjoying a self-catering holiday in the town. It’s a mix of livestock classes and entertainment. Crowds at the 2012 event were wowed by the JCB Dancing Diggers and the Scurry Driving Championship.
- Another annual event which usually takes place in July is popular with fans of live music, literature and art. The Ashbourne Festival lasts for two weeks and attracts performers from the local area and internationally. Highland dancing, music and traditions are on show at the annual Ashbourne Highland Gathering.
- Ashbourne has its own tourist information centre located in Market Place which you can visit to find out more about local events and some of the Peak District’s top attractions. The Tourist Information Centre can be a great place to stop off to pick up free leaflets and get some inspiration on how to spend your time on holiday in this part of Derbyshire.
- For active families taking a cottage break in Ashbourne, the Tissington Trail offers a chance to explore. This cycle trail follows the disused railway track between Ashbourne and Buxton. Gradients are generally very gentle. You can walk the trail if you prefer, or you can hire bicycles. As for Tissington, it is an estate village, celebrated for its picturesque qualities, complete with duck pond. Tissington Hall is a grand Jacobean mansion, popular with visitors and as a wedding venue. Well dressings are a Peak District tradition and involve decorating wells with natural materials, often according to a theme and Tissington is known for its attractive displays every year.
- The Tissington Trail also passes close by Dovedale, said to be one of the most scenic of the Derbyshire Dales. It is an area recognised for its significance as a beautiful area and one that supports flora and fauna with the majority of the landscape being owned and protected by the National Trust.
- Ashbourne is steeped in its local traditions but also welcomes cultures from elsewhere. Discovering the Peak District attractions and Derbyshire hospitality leaves lots of terrific memories for visitors. Whether you are visiting this part of England for a romantic break or family holiday, you are sure to find plenty on offer in this corner of Derbyshire. When it comes to finding good quality self-catering accommodation, enjoy browsing through the available choices that we offer. From large country houses to rural country cottages, we feature an excellent selection of cottages in and near the Peak District National Park.