Cottage Holidays in Buxton, Derbyshire, England
Buxton is a beautiful spa town in the heart of the Peak District. It has fabulous architecture which is evident in the many fine buildings, great restaurants, and an Edwardian opera house with a varied collection of shows.
Facts about what Buxton offers for Cottage Breaks
There is a bustling tourist atmosphere in the town, the population is increased by a good number of summer visitors each year, some visiting Buxton for day trips, others on holiday for a week or two.
Buxton is famous for bottled spring water which is sold in most supermarkets. Most people visit the Peak District for a ramble or two in the Dales, many of whom also explore Buxton and its visitor attractions.
Pooles Cavern is one of several limestone caves in Derbyshire.
- The Dome is a Grade II listed building, once former stables, now converted to a public open space with shops and restaurants and part of the campus of the University of Derby. The remarkable fact about the dome is that it is the largest unsupported dome in England. All kinds of events take place here, including Shakespearean performances.
- Go Ape aerial adventure in Buxton where anyone over the age of 10 can pit themselves against various physical challenges 40 ft high in the tree canopy. Most of the challenges require skill and a certain amount of bravey. Coming down on the zip wires is a thrill.
- The Pavilion Gardens in the heart of Buxron are home to a Victorian Exhibition Centre where craft fairs and various events run all year round. Some amazing art work is displayed here, many local artists working in glass and ceramic produce unique items such as water filled kaleidoscopes to sell.
- There is also a swimming pool and restaurant in the grounds.
- Buxton Museum to find out more about life in Buxton through the ages.