Self catering holiday cottages in Yealmpton, Devon, England
For a tranquil cottage break in the countryside of the South Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty along with easy access to the Dartmoor National Park and beautiful Devon coast just 15 minutes’ drive away, a stay in Yealmpton could be perfect.
Hints and Tips on Cottage Holidays in Yealmpton
The pretty village of Yealmpton with its thatched cottages and historical buildings is located on the River Yealm and is connected by two bridges. Yealmpton's claim to fame is that a 400-year-old stone cottage here is known as Mother Hubbard's Cottage because the housekeeper who lived there was the inspiration for the Old Mother Hubbard nursery rhyme. St. Bartholomew's is the parish church, with origins going back to Saxon times and the Gothic building we see today was constructed in the mid-19th century. The old village stocks can be seen inside the church.
Yealmpton itself is a pretty village with a few thatched cottages dotted around and a location surrounded by rolling countryside. The village is home to an attractive historical church as well as a couple of country inns, one of which has been voted as Devon’s best pub of the year.
Attractions to Discover Whilst on a Cottage Holiday in Yealmpton
• The stunning Devon coast is only 15 minute’s drive away. When it comes to days out by the seaside the nearest golden sandy beaches are at Bigbury on Sea and Thurlestone Sands. Further along the coast is Slapton Sands beach. Take a bucket and spade along and keep the kids entertained for hours.
• It is also just eight miles to Plymouth and its many attractions. Wander round the Barbican and Sutton Harbours, and enjoy the galleries, dining and independent shopping. Visit The National Aquarium and take a boat tour. Stand on The Mayflower Steps where the Pilgrim Fathers once stood, and see amazing views from Plymouth Hoe.
• The wonderful scenery of Dartmoor National Park is also just around a quarter of an hour’s drive away and is a great place to enjoy walking, cycling or horse riding. Those with kids will want to visit Dartmoor Zoo for exciting family fun and to see the animals.
• For more lush countryside and country walks, the Tamar Valley is only around 30 minute’s drive from Yealmpton.
• For days out, the National Trust’s Saltram, an impressive large country house is at nearby Plympton. Entrance is of course free for National Trust members. Visit to marvel at the opulent interiors and to enjoy walks in the gardens as well as to take tea in the café. For those who enjoy outdoor activities, walking, cycling, horse riding and wildlife watching is all on offer at nearby Dartmoor National Park.
Whether you are looking to enjoy a family holiday or a romantic break, we trust that you’ll find Yealmpton and the surrounding area of Devon full of exciting things to see and do.
Book a Yealmpton cottage and look forward to discovering some of the best of Devon on holiday.