Discover beautiful Buckinghamshire with a self-catering holiday in Great Missenden. Located within the Misbourne Valley and nestled within the greenery of the Chiltern Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Great Missenden is a scenic village with good regular transport links in to London (there is a station within the village).
About Cottage Breaks in Great Missenden
For those looking to enjoy wonderful country walks, cycling, wildlife watching and visiting pretty villages and towns and perhaps combine this with a day trip in to London, a stay in Great Missenden could be perfect. Great Missenden is perhaps best known for being home to the Roald Dahl museum, which takes pride of place in the village’s high street.
Walks and Wildlife to Discover on a Cottage Holiday in Great Missenden
- All around lie the Chiltern Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, some of the best walks are found along the Ridgeway and within Wendover Woods and the surrounding hills. Join the Ridgeway walk from Tring or Wendover nearby.
- For more wonderful nature and forest scenery, visit the National Trust’s Ashridge estate, just past the pretty village of Aldbury. Deer are a regular sight here and this is a great place to meander or walk the dog.
Kid-Friendly Attractions near Great Missenden
- If you’re holidaying with children, not only can you take them to the museum within the village itself but you can also visit Whipsnade Zoo (one of England’s top zoos) which are found by the Dunstable Downs in Whipsnade, just 18 miles from Great Missenden.
- Also of interest to those holidaying with children may be the Natural History Museum in Tring. This museum houses a huge collection of fascinating animal life including extinct animals and birds which were bequeathed by Lionel Walter Rothschild, a former Tring resident. Entry is free.
Charming Towns and Villages to Discover on a Cottage Break in Great Missenden
- The picture perfect market town of Old Amersham is a great place to visit for a meander around, a spot of boutique shopping and lunch in a country inn.
- For riverside walks, plus more eating out and shopping, the Buckinghamshire town of Marlow is a great place to visit and is just 30 minute’s drive from Great Missenden.
- More riverside fun can be found at Henley-on-Thames, a slightly larger riverside town which lies some 20 miles from Great Missenden.
There is so much to see and do near Great Missenden, this is a great area which offers plenty for romantic couples, families, keen walkers and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you need to rent a romantic cottage, a family-friendly holiday home or a bunk-house, we hope you find a great place to stay on Countrycottagesonline.com in or near to Great Missenden.
Whether you choose to book a holiday cottage in Great Missenden, an apartment, a lodge or another type of self-catering holiday accommodation, we hope you have your best holiday yet in Buckinghamshire.