Cottage rentals in Portesham, Dorset, England
Nestled by hills and fields, the leafy village of Portesham with its stone-built cottages and historical buildings is a charming place for a cottage holiday. Whether you want to rent a farm cottage, a country house or a romantic retreat, this is a fantastic location within the Dorset countryside yet is just a short distance from the coast and lies within the West Dorset Heritage Coast.
Hints and Tips on Cottage Holidays in Portesham
There is much to discover just a short drive from Portesham. Lying above the village is a monument to Admiral Hardy, who was a famous ship captain and from this high vantage point you can take in amazing views of the Dorset landscape all the way out to sea where you can see out to Lyme Bay on a good day.
Places to Visit Very Close to Portesham
- Just 2 miles from Portesham is the Valley of Stones National Nature Reserve where boulders are dotted along the chalk valley.
- Abbotsbury is only a couple of miles away and where you’ll find the local beach. Abbotsbury Beach is a pebble and shingle beach and is dog-friendly.
- Also at Abbotsbury there is a Swannery, Sub Tropical Gardens and a children’s farm so there is plenty to keep all of the family entertained.
Things to See and Do on a Cottage Holiday in Portesham
- For those who enjoy walking or horse riding, there are numerous good walks and bridleways in this area of Dorset. The South Coast Path can be joined close to Portesham and the beach is always a great place to walk and take in the sea air.
- The Jurassic Coastline can be found all around, and this World Heritage Site with its impressive cliffs and rock formations is a fascinating place to visit.
- For more fun times by the seaside, Weymouth with its beautiful golden sandy beach is just over 15 minute’s drive away.
For the chance to discover some of the very best that the West Country has to offer, Portesham in Dorset could be an excellent place to take a cottage break, whether for a romantic getaway or family holiday.