Self catering holiday cottages in Thetford, Norfolk, England
Get away on a cottage holiday to Thetford, a town undoubtedly best known for its large forest park. This market town also boasts a fascinating and rich history and with a location by the River Ouse is a scenic place to stay.
Facts about what Thetford offers for Self-Catering Breaks
There are plenty of shops to be found in Thetford, along with country inns and cafes. The BBC TV series Dad's Army was filmed in Thetford and there is a Dad's Army Museum close to the heart of town. There is also an Ancient House Museum in the town which houses some fascinating finds that were excavated from Gallows Hill and date back to the iron age. Thetford offers enough to keep visitors entertained for days but is also well placed for discovering some of the best of Norfolk such as the wonderful city of Norwich and the Norfolk Broads on days out.
Best Things to See and Do on a Cottage Holiday in Thetford
• When holidaying in Thetford one of the best things to do is to enjoy tranquil riverside walks where you can go and feed the ducks or just watch the world go by.
• Thetford's historical sites also are well worth a visit. Visit Castle Hill, an iron-age hill fort which is linked to the warrior queen Boudica and learn about this fascinating period of the town's history.
• For time out in the countryside, under the canopy of trees and leaves head for Thetford Forest Park. Here you can enjoy walking, cycling and wildlife watching and for the more adventurous Go Ape can be found within the forest.
• The fascinating historical city of Norwich is only around half an hour's drive from Thetford and with its castle, cathedral and splendid historical buildings, shops and cafe culture is well worth a visit.
• The Norfolk Broads, one of Norfolk's best loved areas, are only around an hour's drive from Thetford. Discover tranquil waterways, look out for local birdlife and marvel at the beautiful windmills founds in this part of Norfolk. The Broads are widely reputed to be best seen from the water so book a boat trip and enjoy a truly relaxing day out at the Norfolk Broads.
In terms of self-catering holiday accommodation, options include budget apartments within Thetford, as well as town-houses. Stay in the nearby countryside and options include rural retreats, barn conversions and farm-stays where you can really relax and get away from it all. Wherever you choose to stay, we hope you find the best holiday house for you on Country Cottages Online in or near Thetford.
Featured Self catering country cottages near Thetford, Norfolk, England:
3 bedroom Cottage, East Anglia.
2 - 6
Fabulous 5 star gold award winning cottage which is both family and dog-friendly, with private hot tub and walled garden, situated just a short walk from the beach in East Runton, near Cromer.
Special features: free internet access, games room, outdoor hot tub, Gold Award Winning Cottage.
7 bedroom Large Country House, North Norfolk coast.
2 - 16
Gold award winning, large holiday house with 7 en-suite bedrooms and a 5 star rating, located near Cromer just 5 minutes' walk from the local beach, with a games room, luxurious private hot tub outdoors and a walled garden on site, this house is ideal for big groups of friends or family looking to stay in style.
Special features: free internet access, tennis court, games room, outdoor hot tub, Gold Award Winning Cottage.
3 bedroom Unique Holiday House, East Anglia.
1 - 6
Unique 3 bedroom holiday home, originally an old church hall, boasting wonderful country views and ample charm and character plus access to the owner’s outdoor swimming pool in summertime.
3 bedroom Holiday Cottage, East Anglia.
2 - 6
Characterful 3 bedroom holiday cottage situated next to the village church in Northrepps, close to the coastal town of Cromer, this could be a great base for discovering the fantastic seaside and beaches of the North Norfolk Heritage Coast, dog-friendly and welcoming up to 2 pet dogs.
Special features: free internet access.
2 bedroom Barn Conversion, East Anglia.
1 - 4
Absolutely stunning rural retreat, this pet and family friendly barn conversion has a contemporary open plan living space along with a private garden with a stream and is located in a peaceful rural hamlet, just a short drive from Thetford Forest Park and the unique Grade II Plantation Garden at Oxburgh Hall.