Book a cottage break in Ampthill, Bedfordshire, England
For a stay in a historic or character cottage, a stay in the atmospheric town of Ampthill could be perfect. Brimful with elegant historical buildings, some of which date back to Tudor times, Ampthill is a real treat and is a fascinating place to stay with a history that dates back to the 13th century and even earlier.
What Ampthill, Bedfordshire offers for Self-Catering Holidays
Within Ampthill there are a small number of shops, a fascinating historical church and around five pubs including country inns serving food. Ampthill is a charming place to enjoy a break and is very well located for discovering some of the best of Bedfordshire on a self-catering break.
Top Things to See and Do on a Cottage Holiday in Ampthill
• If you enjoy walking, one of the best places to walk is in Ampthill Park. Protected by the Greensand Trust, this wonderful park offers fantastic views over the Greensand Ridge and was once home to a historic house with royal connections. For more great walks, part of the Greensand Ridge route runs through the parkland.
• For more naturally beautiful landscape, walks, bike rides and wildlife watching, the Forestry Commission’s protected Maulden Wood is close to Ampthill. A network of paths guide you through the woodlands of this site of special scientific interest.
• More rich history can be discovered just 10 minutes’ drive away at the town of Woburn and at Woburn Abbey. For those who like to ‘walk on the wild-side’ why not visit Woburn Safari Park where you can enjoy a safari-style experience right here in the UK.
• If you are holidaying with kids or want a guaranteed opportunity to see some amazing animals then why not visit Whipsnade Zoo? Situated only around 40 minutes’ drive from Ampthill, Whipsnade is a great destination for family fun.
• If you love discovering unspoilt countryside then the Dunstable Downs are another wonderful place to visit, around 40 minutes’ drive from Ampthill and whilst there National Trust members will want to visit Pitstone Windmill and perhaps also the amazing Tree Cathedral.
Planning a take it easy holiday or an active self-catering holiday? Whatever the type of break you choose, Ampthill with its historic charm is a great place for a break to remember. Whether you choose to rent a townhouse or a rural retreat in the countryside, we hope you find the perfect holiday home for you in or near to Ampthill.
Book a Ampthill cottage and look forward to discovering some of the best of Bedfordshire on holiday.