For a remote self-catering holiday, a stay in Scalloway in Shetland could be perfect. Named after the nearby Scalloway Islands, the active harbour village of Scalloway is one of the most populated settlements on Mainland, the largest of the Shetland Islands.
What Scalloway offers for Cottage Breaks
Scalloway is a thriving town thanks to its natural harbour. By virtue of its seaside location, many of the houses in Scalloway boast sea views.
What Scalloway Offers Visitors
• Shetland is a paradise for those looking to escape from it all and enjoy wildlife watching and the road less travelled.
• Since Scalloway is among the main settlements on the island, there are plenty of convenient transport links to enable you to explore the island.
• One of Scalloway's key attractions is its castle, which was constructed in 1600 by Earl Patrick Stewart in order to maintain control over the Shetlands. It dominates the village’s skyline and even though there’s been much harbour development around it over the years, it’s still an impressive sight.
• A short drive from Scalloway is the town of Lerwick, the largest settlement in the Shetland Islands. It has a number of cafes and restaurants, as well as a museum and other places where you can learn about the islands’ vast history and Viking roots.
• Whilst taking a cottage break in Scalloway, you won’t want to miss out on the chance to see the Shetland Islands’ diverse wildlife and explore its rugged wilderness. There are plenty of tours and guided expeditions available for those keen to discover the islands’ many wonders. Popular tours include trips to spot birds, seals and even otters! Due to the islands’ northerly location, you may even get to see the Northern Lights.
Rent the Best Holiday Property for your Scalloway trip
From romantic retreats to family cottages and group holiday houses, there is a variety of accommodation available on the Shetland Isles. We hope you find the perfect holiday home for your Scalloway getaway.
Book a Scalloway cottage and look forward to discovering some of the best of Shetland Islands on holiday.