Cottage rentals in Belcarra, Mayo, Ireland
For a relaxing cottage holiday in the County Mayo countryside, a stay in the welcoming village of Belcarra could be ideal. Originally known as Ballycarra, Belcarra is a pretty tranquil village which is set by fields and unspoilt County Mayo scenery and is only around half an hour's drive from the scenic County Mayo coast.
Advice on Cottage Holidays in Belcarra
Within Belcarra there are two village shops, a couple of bars, a post office and a garage. More shops, bars and eateries can be found in nearby Castlebar just 15 minutes' drive from Belcarra.
For those who love outdoor activities such as fishing, walking, hiking and wildlife watching, discovering the road-less travelled and Irish myth and legend, a stay in Belcarra in Co. Mayo could be just perfect.
Discover some of the Best of Co. Mayo on a Self-Catering Break in Belcarra
• If you love to fish then you will be in your element with a holiday in Belcarra. Lough Mask is a huge lake (only around half an hour's drive from Belcarra), over 20,000 acres in size and is one of Ireland's most renowned brown trout fisheries. People come to this lake to fish for large trout and the season runs from mid February until the end of September.
• Also only around half an hour's drive from Belcarra is Lough Conn where people also come to fish (the season lasts from the end of March until the end of July). This is a scenic lake where you can walk around and take in stunning views. You can also enjoy boating or canoeing here and there are a number of sandy beaches to discover too by the lake. Crossmolina which lies by the shores of the lake is a particularly pretty place to visit.
• More fishing opportunities can be found along the River Moy, which is famous for salmon fishing, around 45 minutes' drive from Belcarra.
• If you want to enjoy a day or night out in the town, Castlebar is just 15 minutes' drive from Belcarra and within this town you will find the National Museum of Country Life, an Arts Centre and Theatre, shops, cafes, bars and eateries.
• It's easy to spend time by the seaside too with a stay in Belcarra. The seaside village of Newport is just half an hour's drive from Belcarra. With a river flowing through it and a situation along the Co. Mayo coast, Newport is an attractive seaside town and a great place to come for walks or bike rides as the Great Western Greenway runs from the town (Ireland's longest traffic-free cycling and walking route). Fishing can also be enjoyed locally, either on the Newport river, at Beltra Lake (permits are required) or from the shore.
• Also worth a visit just half an hour's drive from Belcarra is Westport, a pretty seaside town by Clew Bay. With a good choice of shops, bars, cafes and eateries, Westport has plenty to offer visitors.
• Another coastal town worth a visit is Louisburgh (around 50 minute's drive from Belcarra) with its historical buildings and stunning location by the Atlantic. There are a number of beautiful blue flag award winning beaches by Louisburgh including Carramore, Old Head and Betra. More unspoilt sandy beaches can be found at Tallabawn and Dooaghtry.
• Also well worth a visit but a bit further afield is Ballycroy National Park, which is within around an hour's drive of Belcarra. With bogs, heathlands, grasslands, lakes, rivers and mountains such as the Nephin Beg mountains, the Slieve Carr mountains and the Scardaun Loughs, this national park is a great place to enjoy walking, hiking and wildlife watching for animals such as otters or birds such as grouse and geese.
Whether you rent a holiday lodge, a traditional crofter's cottage or a townhouse or holiday apartment, we hope you find the perfect holiday home to rent in or near Belcarra and that you have a wonderful holiday in Co. Mayo.
Featured Self catering country cottages near Belcarra, Mayo, Ireland:
5 bedroom Detached Holiday House, Ireland - County Mayo.
4 - 10
This 5 bedroom County Mayo holiday house with its fabulous seaside views and stunning interior definitely has the wow factor, with light, bright, airy and spacious rooms, this is a fabulous coastal Irish holiday home for groups of up to 10 friends or family, discover some of the magic of Ireland with a stay here.
Special features: free internet access.
|from 27 February to 29 February 20 from 07 March to 21 March 20|