Award winning historic thatched holiday cottage, restored to the highest standard, with the accent on character. The cottage won the Island Conservation Award for 2006. It is situated within the grounds of an historic manor house in 60 acres of beautiful downland with splendid views, in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. At the entrance gate there is a large duck pond with duck house.
A bridle path leads to a network of paths that run across the Island and you are welcome to bring your horse by arrangement. Metal detecting may be enjoyed on the site where there has been a house since the 13th century and some interesting finds have been made.
This owner/agency has featured on countrycottagesonline.com since 2007
- Historical Property
- Cottage dates back to 13th century
- With Exposed Beams
Kitchen & Dining:
- Video or DVD
- Internet Access
- Washing Machine
- Type of Cooker: Electric oven and hob
- Dining Table Seats: 6
- 1 Kingsize Bed(s)
- 2 Single Bed(s)
- 1 Z Bed(s)
- Bed Linen Provided
Heating:Garden and Outdoors:
- Ensuite Bathroom
- Power Shower
- Towels Provided
- Enclosed Garden: Own garden
The cottage is south facing and is very light and airy. It's cool in the summer and cosy in the winter. The large ground floor is open plan and has a terracotta tiled floor throughout. The sitting area has a fireplace housing an early Victorian cast iron stove. The kitchen has sold wood units with beech worktops, a built-in electric oven and hob and dishwasher. There is full oil central heating and a washing machine and drier in the boiler room. On the first floor, there are two double bedrooms. The main bedroom is double aspect and has an en-suite shower room/WC with a very large power shower. The second bedroom is L-shaped with twin beds that can be zipped together and has a separate bathroom/WC with a Victorian cast iron bath. The cottage has its own garden and patio area with a barbecue where you can sit and hear nothing but the birds. There is an abundance of wildlife - buzzards, owls, red squirrels, herons, badgers, stoats and foxes which make the cottage an ideal holiday haven for birdwatchers, photographers, painters as well as walkers and lovers of the peace, beauty and tranquillity of the countryside.
Please visit http://www.greateaststanden.co.uk/ to find out more about the holiday cottage, amenities,
surrounding area and places to visit in Isle of Wight.
Deposit secures booking
All tourist attractions on the Isle of Wight are within easy reach for day trips. Osbourne House is 10 minutes by car and is well worth a visit. It also puts on outdoor plays and various events during the summer. Arreton Barns has craft shops where demonstrations of crafts takes place daily and is within walking distance.
Nearest Train Station or Airport: Sandown Airport (10 minutes), Bembridge (15minutes)
Recommended Places to Visit: Brading Roman Villa
The excellent tiger zoo at Sandown
Dinosaur Isle at Sandown
Robin Hill Country Park within walking distance
Isle of Wight Pearl
Annual Events: There is an extensive programme of events on the Isle of Wight, more information on arrival. For example, regular guided walks and garden tours of places such as Culver Down, wildlife walk on Compton Down, boat shows and regattas, concerts.
Recommended Places to Eat Out: The Dairyman's Daughter at Arreton Barns, The George at Yarmouth, The Crown at Shorwell, The Pond Cafe at Bonchurch, Number Three in Cowes and Olivo's in Newport.
Local Sports: Stabling available to bring your own horse, extensive bridleways for riding, paths and trails for walking or cycling. Beach 10/15 minutes away.
- » Holiday cottages with a swimming pool - Isle of Wight
- » Self-catering cottages in the Isle of Wight for families with young children
- » Cottages on the Isle of Wight - for self-catering holidays
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Newbridge, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Easton, Isle of Wight
- » Self-catering short break holidays in the Isle of Wight, England
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Hamstead, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - St Lawrence, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Niton, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Brightstone, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Wootton Common, Isle of Wight
- » Self-catering cottage accommodation in Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Totland, Isle of Wight
- » Self-catering holiday accommodation in the Isle of Wight available for long lets
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Norton, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages in the Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Brading, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Newchurch, Isle of Wight
- » Holiday cottages for self-catering holidays - Osborne, Isle of Wight