Self-catering apartments and holiday accommodation in London, England, UK
London is a wonderful destination for an exciting sightseeing holiday... so much to do... you will want to visit time and time again.
Click to go to the accommodation and view self catering in London
Places to visit in London
- The museums in London (mostly free entry). The Natural History Museum with it's dinosaur simulation is very popular and highly recommended. Also various other museums in South Kensington.
- British Museum near Euston for the superb Egyptian collection and Elgin Marbles.
- Art Galleries in London , Tate, National Portrait - in Trafalgar Square, London.
- The Tower of London and Hampton Court (joint saver ticket available). Interesting places to visit and the Beefeater's tours around the Tower can be most entertaining. Allow a day for each. These could be combined with a boat trip on the Thames.
- Thames Path walk for an interesting walk with views of major London landmarks and places to visit en-route. Tower Bridge to Houses of Parliament.
- Boat trip on the Thames for a view of London from the river.
- The London Aquarium (excellent) and the London Eye /Millenium Wheel. It's OK - a nice view of London's skyline for just under £10 for an adult and half price for children, but you have to book ahead and wait in a long queue.
- Thorpe Park (south west London) for a fun day out for anyone with children. Theme park rides, artificial beach (take towel and swimwear), shows, farm etc. Lots of family fun. Also, Chessington World of Adventures theme park on the south east of London.
- London Zoo and if you have a car, Woburn Safari Park north of London near Luton.
- Madame Tussauds and the Planetarium in Baker Street - popular with tourists. View the Planetarium first to gain faster entry into Madame Tussauds and save queuing.
- Walking tours of London - these take place on a daily basis and provide guided tours through various parts of London. The guides are informative and amusing but not so good if you have a limited understanding of English. Pub stops are usually part of the tour which allows you an opportunity to meet and chat to fellow tourists, and some Londoners, about places you have enjoyed visiting most, and swap tips for future visits. Generally very enjoyable and good value for money. Other companies include Stepping Out, The Streets of London.
- A private guided tour of London, by car with a Blue Badge Guide, is available for the wealthier tourist at Marksman Tours. The tours are tailored to your needs, a range of European languages spoken.
- Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament. The best, cheapest and most efficient way of viewing these is on foot (comfortable footwear essential) and by London Underground. There are guided bus tours but these can be complicated and expensive as well as slow due to the London traffic. The benefit of these is that you can listen to a dialogue over headphones in various common languages. You may also be interested in visiting another royal residence at Windsor. The Castle and grounds are a firm favourite with tourists.
- Theatreland around Shaftesbury Avenue where you can watch superb shows and plays. Various kiosks in the centre of London (e.g. in Leicester Square) sell half price tickets for matinees for certain productions.
- Various London Markets; Petticoat Lane near Liverpool Street for all types of bargains, lavishly decorated shoes, African and Indian fabrics. Nearby Spitalfields indoor market for arts and crafts and excellent selection of ethnic cafes. Camden Lock Market near Camden Town for ethnic and craft products, Portobello Road Market for antiques, Greenwich Market for hand-made jewellery, quality crafts.
Events to see in London
- Lord Mayor's New Year's Day Parade in London - starts at 12 noon on the 1st of January in Parliament Square alongside the Houses of Parliament and ends in Berkeley Square. Participants include marching bands, cheerleaders, floats, theatrical performers. A superb fireworks display is often held near Tower Bridge on New Years eve.
- Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Windsor Castle and Horse Guards Parade.
- Nottinghill Carnival - 3rd week of August with a string of smaller events leading up to the street parades. About 2 million people attend the street parades and parties.
- Lord Mayor's Show - on the second Saturday in November. Starts at the Guildhall in the City of London and ends with a spectacular fireworks display.
Accommodation in and near London:
Self-catering in West London in Brentford, near Twickenham and Kew Gardens
The Bush Houseboat, moored beside Kew Gardens in west London is perfect self-catering holiday accommodation for anyone visiting London for a short or longer break.
The 3 bedroom newly refurbished houseboat can sleep 4 adults and a child.
Telephone 020 8 892 7241 for bookings and availability or click on the photograph for additional information.
8 Bedroom House to sleep 10 to 16 people in Surrey, south of London
This small country estate comprises a large country house (4,000 sq feet in total) with a lovely hill top setting (enjoying 360 degree views) set in 5 acres of grounds and a further 15 acres of paddocks, just one hour from London.
A wonderful place to relax with friends and family and enjoy either outdoor pursuits or stay in and watch films on the cinema, read in front of the open fire or party until dawn in your own private night club!
Click on photograph of this house near London to rent for more information....
|Bush Houseboat - sleeps 4-5 in Brentford, west London
Moored near Kew Gardens on the Thames, the Bush Houseboat has been recently refitted to provide superb 3 bedroom self-catering accommodation with all mod cons including power shower, central heating, dishwasher and washing machine, in the heart of London but away from all the hustle and bustle of traffic and noise.
The houseboat has its own parking and must be seen to be appreciated. A peaceful treasure in the heart of London.
Telephone: 020 8 892 7241, or 0789 0996905 for more info and bookings.
|More self-catering accommodation in London and outskirts?|