Doncaster is a traditional market town, which has been in place for over 800 years. It is an interesting location for a self-catering cottage break in Yorkshire.
What Doncaster offers for Self-Catering Breaks
It is the largest market town in the North of England, with hundreds of shops and stalls. There is a specialist fish market, and an excellent food market, selling goods from all over the world. The food market has gained recommendation from the renouned chef, Anthony Worrell Thompson.
Doncaster's best know attraction is its racecourse,which has recently undergone a massive £32 million redevelopment. It is home to the World's oldest classic race, The St.Ledger, held every September. There is a full race programme throughout the year.
Doncaster boasts one of only three civic Mansion houses in Britian today,which was first opened in 1749. The town has an excellent shoppping area, as well nearby out of town retail parks and outlets.
In the Borough, there are numerous things to see and do, including:
- Europes largest paintball and lazer venue at Bawtry ( Bawtry itself was an old 12th century port, and has a range of exclusive shops and cafes)
- The Dome leaisure center, which regularly holds shows and concerts.
- the Yorkshire Wildlife park at Brockholes Farm, which has a vast range of animals, and holds special events throughout the year.
- Doncaster Museum and art gallery
- Doncaster aircraft museum
- there is also a bus museum locally at Sandtoft.
Rent a self-catering cottage or apartment in Doncaster for a interesting break. Spend a few happy hours at the races, go shopping, enjoy day trips sightseeing in York, the Peak District or Leeds - all within an hour's drive. A stay in Doncaster would suit various groups and especially single sex groups such as hen or stag looking for weekend entertainment.
Whether you choose to book a holiday cottage in Doncaster, an apartment, a lodge or another type of self-catering holiday accommodation, we hope you have your best holiday yet in South Yorkshire.