Stoodley Barn - Holne, Devon, England
|07766 335344 or 07766 335344|
|Click here to email owner|
|Payment Options: cheque, bank transfer
Contact: Mr. Richard Copus
Key Cottage InformationPrice range from £345 to £595 per week
Number of units of accommodation: 1
Sleeps from 1 to 4 people in 2 bedrooms
Number of bathrooms: 1
Short Breaks: Yes - The minimum number of days for a short break is 3
Suitable for the disabled:
Children are welcome: - Minimum age of child is 5
Pet Friendly: (2 dogs welcome)
Rating: Not assessed
Experience a break in the best of the glorious English countryside in a beautiful location that time forgot. In the land of WARHORSE, the scenery is stunning and the film locations are all a short drive away.
This owner/agency has featured on countrycottagesonline.com since 2004
- Historical Property
- 200 year old, granite barn in Baskerville land
- With Exposed Beams
- Because of problems with multimap showing a location one and a half miles away from the house we have not provided the postcode with this property in the relevant box. It is: TQ13 7RY. Stoodley Barn is located almost one mile to the east of Holne village just below Gallant-le-Bower Grid Reference: 717698
- Video or DVD
- Laundry Facilities
- 1 Double Bed(s)
- 2 Single Bed(s)
- Bed Linen Provided
- Ensuite Bathroom
- Towels Provided
- Central Heating
- Enclosed Garden: Good size, south facing, exceptional views
- Panoramic views for 20 miles over the beautiful South Hams countryside.
Stoodley Barn is the main part of a wonderful granite-built barn with 2 bedrooms and offers plenty of character and charm. Located some 600 feet above sea level, the views from the barn are absolutely magnificent.
Within this barn conversion there is a lovely spacious lounge complete with beamed ceiling, limestone fireplace and Freeview multi-channel TV, kitchen with lovely countryside views and a downstairs loo. Upstairs, there is a family bathroom and 2 bedrooms, one of which has a single bed plus an additional pull-out bed for a child and the main bedroom with its double bed and en-suite WC. The main bedroom has wonderful country views. Outside there is a generous south facing garden along with plenty of parking. Pets are very welcome (except in the bedrooms) and there is no extra charge or deposit for them.
Stoodley, derived from the Anglo-Saxon meaning "Place of the Stallions", is a tiny hamlet with only 3 other houses tucked about 150 yards away. The village of Holne, under a mile away and 15/20 minutes walk has a parish church, shop and tea rooms and ancient medieval Church House Inn - a typical, unspoilt English pub.
Situated within Dartmoor National Park, some of the most beautiful parts of the moor are on the doorstep. For those who like traditional English scenery with small fields, hedgerows and copses, 1 Stoodley Barn is on the edge of and overlooks the South Hams area of Devon which epitomises the English landscape. The lovely unspoilt beaches and coves of this area are all around 35 minutes drive. River Dart Adventures, Buckfastleigh Butterly Farm, South Devon Steam Railway, and Pennywell Farm are among the attractions nearby.
Many of our guests return year after year to enjoy the peace and quiet of this unique location.
Stoodley Barn is in a secluded rural location with superb views of the countryside, in the Dartmoor National Park. Should you hit a period of bad weather during your stay (and this is England!) you will find that you are not far from civilisation. One of the beauties of Stoodley is the absence of traffic and main roads, but we are only 10 minutes from the A38 which means that both Plymouth and the cathedral city of Exeter are an easy half hour drive. The market town of Newton Abbot is 20 minutes drive, as is the beautiful riverside Tudor town of Totnes.
More locally is the ancient town of Ashburton with its period Georgian houses and plethora of antique shops. Through National Trust Hembury Woods and its Neolithic hill fort is the Benedictine Abbey of Buckfast, rebuilt earlier this century in original Norman style. It is thought that some of the granite in Stoodley Barn was taken from the ruins. For Sherlock Holmes fanatics, you are in Baskerville land. The so-called Baskerville Hall is nearby. The evil lord of the manor who inspired the tale is buried in Buckfastleigh churchyard. Other places of interest within easy distance are Castle Drogo and Drewsteignton on northern Dartmoor.
Nearest Train Station or Airport: Newton Abbot and Totnes Stations - 20 mins drive. Exter and Plymouth Airports - 30 mins.
Recommended Places to Visit: Plymouth, Exeter, Totnes, beaches and resorts - not forgetting Dartmoor itself.
Annual Events: There are numerous events locally during the summer months and cinemas, theatre etc in Exeter and Plymouth.
Recommended Places to Eat Out: Church House Inn, Holne,The Tradesman's Arms, Scoriton and most of the moorland pubs.
Local Sports: River swimming 1 mile, 2 open air pools 3 miles, beaches half an hour, golf courses 25 minutes drive. Horse riding nearby.
A delightful Devon village on the southern slopes of Dartmor with quintessentially English country inn and little shop with tea rooms.
- » Holiday Cottages near a Sandy, Shingle or Pebble Beach in Devon
- » Self-catering country cottages in Devon
- » Self-catering holiday accommodation in Devon with own parking facilities
- » Holiday cottages in north Devon
- » Cottages in Devon close to a pub
- » Small one bedroom cottages in Devon to sleep 2 people only
- » Pretty country cottages - Devon
- » Book a selfcatering cottage in Devon for up to 4 people
- » Self-catering on the Colmer Estate in Devon
- » Southern England: holiday cottages for self-catering holidays and weekend breaks
- » Self-catering holiday accommodation in Exeter, Devon
- » Self-catering short break holidays in Devon, England
- » Accommodation for Large Groups in Devon
- » Rent a Cottage in Devon
- » Country Cottages to rent north Devon
- » Holiday cottages near Hope Cove in South Devon
- » Country cottages south Devon
- » Holiday lets in and near Croyde Bay north Devon
- » Holiday cottages in Devon currently available for Christmas week
- » Country cottages in Devon in England's West Country
Similar Country Cottages
Oakside Cottage (FULLY BOOKED 2014) England, Devon, Modbury
Lake View, luxury holiday in the South Hams England, Devon, Modbury
The Popples at Colmer England, Devon, Modbury
Gatehouse West, Colmer Estate England, Devon, Kingsbridge
The Lodge at Colmer, Modbury, Kingsbridge England, Devon, Modbury
Higher Orchard England, Devon, Kingsbridge
Meadow Cottage at Twistgates Farm Cottages
4 nights starting on Tues 9th Sept for £250.
This special offer ends on 13-09-2014
6th Sept one week stay has been reduced to £320 from £380.
This special offer ends on 13-09-2014
Willows Holiday Cottage
Willows, with 4 bedroom and 3 bathrooms, reduced for 4 or fewer guests occupying the cottage: £560 for the week (normally £700).
This special offer ends on 20-09-2014
Sladen Lodge has some late availability for the weekend commencing 12th September 2014 which has now been reduced by £700 to only £1,400 for up to 16 guests.
This special offer ends on 15-09-2014
Registered Office: 17 Fennfields Rd, South Woodham, Chelmsford, CM3 5RZ.
Registered in England and Wales No 3991504, VAT registration number: 104 353357