Need ideas of places to go for your next cottage holiday? How about the Eden Valley in Cumbria? Located around mid-way between the Pennines and the Lake District National Park, close to Penrith, this area is so named by virtue of the Eden River that flows through the countryside here. For a rural retreat break where you can enjoy riverside walks, cycling, walking, wildlife watching and discovering quaint towns and villages, the Eden Valley is hard to beat.
What’s more, there are two national parks within reach of this valley; the Lake District National Park which is easily accessible close by and the Yorkshire Dales National Park which is around 40 minutes drive away.
Top Things to See and Do on a Self-Catering Holiday in the Eden Valley
- For those who love walking, there is some wonderful countryside and footpaths to discover in this area of Cumbria, so get those walking boots on and enjoy exploring.
- Enjoy a spot of salmon or trout fishing, the Eden Valley is renowned for it.
- Enjoy taking in the riverside scenery on a riverside walk with family or friends.
- Visit one of the pretty towns or villages in the area such as Appleby-in-Westmorland, Penrith or Kirkby Stephen and taste local fare at one of the cafes or restaurants.
- Discover Lacy’s Caves, fascinating caves that have been carved out of the sandstone cliffs right by the riverside close to Little Salkeld.
See the Eden Benchmarks, stone sculptures which are dotted along the valley close to footpaths.
Looking for Accommodation for your Holiday in the Eden Valley?
For those who love getting out and exploring the great outdoors and appreciate ample greenery, being by the riverside and big skies, the Eden Valley has plenty to offer. Options when it comes to accommodation include farm-stay holiday homes, English country cottages and rural retreats. Whatever type of accommodation you are dreaming of, we hope you find the perfect holiday cottage for you in the gorgeous Eden Valley.